Finding the Balance

In just under two weeks, my flight leaves for Orlando. I'm meeting my family there for my cousin's wedding, and we're doing some Disney vacation stuff, too.

I have been just consumed all day yesterday, and most of the week really, on the things I needed to do and buy to look absolutely amazing on this trip. I'm buying dreeses and bronzing lotion, I'm getting my hair highlighted and cut and my eyebrows waxed, I'm rethinking make-up and shoes - all to present some kind of fabulous image to people who I've known my whole life. There are some deep-seated issues wrapped up in that for sure, but last night there were two things that happened that reminded me of just how shallow my thoughts have been lately.

The first thing that happened is that I went to our FPU class - tonight's lesson was on debt. I pride myself on being out of debt except for my house (thohg in truth I owe that less to hard work and more to God's provision and a great housing market). But the truth is, imagine what I could do with no debt at all (including no mortgage payment)? And the only way to get there is to decide, one purchase at a time, what's more important to me.

The other thing that happened is that I read this post by a mom blogger who just got back from a trip to Uganda with Compassion International.

In the face of that reminder of such extreme poverty and our response to it, I seem to have regained a more balanced perspective. There's nothing wrong with wanting to look my best. But being driven by it, obsessing about it - there are far more important things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!