setting goals.

It's that time of year, and I've been thinking about setting goals for 2009. And I think I'm going to take a different approach this year.

Rather than setting one or two large goals for the entire year, I'm listing 29 things I want to accomplish in 2009. They're smaller goals, things that can be accomplished in a couple months' time. They're realistic and measurable. And I'm also being careful to word them in such a way that if I were to fail once, the entire goal doesn't fail. For example, I don't want to set a goal to work out three times a week, because if I fail one week, I've failed completely (at least with the way my brain works).

I've been working on and praying through this list for a while. It makes me feel a bit vulnerable, putting this list out here. I'm tempted to add explanations, but I won't.

  1. Lose 30 pounds.
  2. Read 10 non-fiction books.
  3. Get a stamp in my passport.
  4. Read through the New Testament.
  5. Run for 2 miles.
  6. Save $3000 in a savings account.
  7. Cut out all sweets for a month.
  8. Teach Harvey and Dakota to walk well together on a leash.
  9. Take Harvey and Dakota to the beach.
  10. Walk the Norfolk Botanical Gardens.
  11. See a Grand Illumination (Williamsburg or Norfolk).
  12. Grow out my fingernails.
  13. Try 50 new recipes.
  14. Take an aerobics class.
  15. Refinish dressers (2).
  16. Clean out the garage.
  17. Start recycling.
  18. Entertain once a month.
  19. Watch the sun rise over the ocean.
  20. Get a hammock.
  21. Lead worship at church.
  22. Try 3 new fruits or vegetables.
  23. Post jewelry to Etsy.
  24. Take a training class for work.
  25. Watch Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3
  26. Volunteer at Oasis (food kitchen) 5 times.
  27. Enroll in 401(k).
  28. See 3 live concerts.
  29. Have Jake visit for a weekend.
Update: See the results of my 2009 goals here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!