when it's not my story to tell.

One of the things I struggle with as I'm learning these kids' stories, is whether I have the right to share them. Some (many) of them are quite tragic, and there's a part of me that honestly wants to put them out here - to pull on your heart strings as they have pulled on mine, and to remind us all of the hard things that people all over the world face.

Yet, these aren't my stories, and so maybe they're not my stories to tell. After all, I would find it very odd if a friend were to write about the hard things of my life, even if I was willing to share it myself. It seems odd, doesn't it?

But here's the more important thing - while each of these children has a story of heartbreak, they also have a story that He has written, and that He is writing. It's a story of freedom, of redemption, and of hope. And maybe in the interest of trying to move people, to motivate them to give or even just realize how blessed they are, we neglect to tell that story.

I'm still wrestling through this one, and I'd love to hear feedback. What do you think? 

1 comment:

  1. Kristy, this is a great question. Of course, the question of motive is a good one. As you said, the motivation to give honor to God for His redemptive work seems like a great reason to me. Next might be a consideration of how/if the child could be somehow involved with the telling of the story while keeping them anonymous. Could we ask them for permission to share their story and why? That may be a cool thing for them to understand how their story could encourage and challenge others. So... just some thoughts... Great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!