stripping.

Last weekend I started (in earnest) what is probably the most insane DIY project I've ever tried.

I'm stripping my front door.

This is all a part of the process of fixing up the outside of my house. I'm still not sure of the end result (and I'll probably change my mind many more times), but I do have this idea of a beautiful, imperfect, warm wooden door.

I'm not entirely sure I can pull it off, but I figure, in the worst case scenario, I just repaint it.

Its a long process. I'm using CitrusStrip, so that I can work on the door in pieces without needing to take it off the hinges yet. I started with an all-over coat last weekend, and scraped off the easy parts - any place where the door is basically flat. During the week I've been sticking to only a small section at a time, since I only have my evenings free to do it. All of the detail work is tricky - its hard to get in there really well. I'm doing the best I can, and then thinking of taking my Dremel to it to handle the finer points.

Its a very messy job, and my house smells faintly of a slightly-off orange scent.

I'm planning to do the big parts this weekend, then hopefully start working at the details in earnest throughout next week. Once I've done as much as I can with the door in place, I'll pick a weekend to take it down and stain it. This is what the inside looks like today (the bottom section has stripper on it - I'll start scraping there in a few hours):

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing door, no wonder you decided to redo that one instead of buying a new one. I'm sure price might of had something to do with it as well....

    Amber

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!