orphans.

I've spent a good part of today talking to my CASA girls and their families, learning more of their stories. Its overwhelming, honestly. I'm such a practical person - I see a need and want to figure out how to meet it, but their needs are so much bigger than that. There are material needs, of course, but there are emotional needs, too. And, of course, biggest of all - they need Jesus.

I'm overwhelmed, sometimes, by the loss in their lives. I'm so much more aware of the gifts that I've been given, the things I take for granted. (This past weekend, I called my mom, just because I felt the need to say, thanks for loving me, no strings attached).

I know where to start. I know that I can check in with them, and encourage them, and advocate and intercede for them. I can push for positive influences in their lives, and challenge those around them to step up.

But, I really think that God is going to ask me for more - I'm just not sure yet what that is.

Come ye unwanted and find affection
Come all ye weary, come and lay down your head
...
There are no strangers, there are no outcasts
There are no orphans of God
So many fallen, but hallelujah
There are no orphans of God
- Orphans of God, Avalon
Tonight, as I think through about these things, this song is a precious reminder that even when the world abandons us, God never does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!