changing happy.

It's interesting, if you think about it, how much we let our circumstances determine how happy we are. Have you ever thought about that? Last night when I went to bed, I felt great. I had gotten a lot of things done, I had a great plan for the next day, and though there were a lot of things to do, it all felt possible.

Today I woke up sick and with very little energy, the buyers for my car changed their mind, I found out the moving schedule is going to be significantly tighter than I want it to be, and I have gotten absolutely no packing done. Needless to say, its been a frustrating day.

I was thinking about all this, and I started wondering why it is that I let circumstances, especially ones I have no control over, so affect my mood?

There's a great song by Jadon Lavik, called "Changing Happy." Here are the lyrics:

I've always found that happiness hides
Just around the corner, just out of my reach
And the moment its found, the next that its missing
I need to change my own definition

Cause nothing's ever quite all that it seems
And I am not convinced that anybody's ever living the dream
Expectations kill as reality plays this show of your life
It's a whole different scene

I'm changing what it means to be happy, what it means
Back to the way I know that it should be
Close to you is where I need to be

No matter how hard we push or how hard we pull
There's just a little bit more until we're full
Cause we've all tried to cover sadness and sorrow
With temporary things that never seem to last

I'm changing what it means to be happy, what it means
Back to the way I know that it should be

So explain to me why we fill up empty with empty
And at the end of day, we're confused by the longing

Change it back, change it back, change it back, change it back
Change it back, change it back, change it back, change it back

I'm changing what it means to be happy, what it means
I'm back to the way I know that it should be, the way that it should be
I'm changing what it means to be happy
What it means to be happy, to be happy, truly happy
Close to you is where I need to be

Change it back
Change it back

So this is my resolution - I'm redefining happy. I'm counting the gifts that God has given in order to get some perspective. And I'm not going to let circumstances deter me from believing what I know to be True.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!