Valentines

As a single person who has some experience with celebrating (and not celebrating) Valentines Day without a significant other, my feelings about the holiday are complicated. Sometimes the whole thing doesn't faze me at all. Sometimes I just get a little annoyed, like the time I went out for dinner with a group of friends and the waitress kept sub-dividing us into the married and the singles, then flirted with all the single guys (in this case, I was mostly annoyed not because it was Valentines Day, but because she was so tacky). And other times, if I'm being really honest, well let's just say its more of a struggle. In those times, I remind myself of all the good things I do have in my life, instead of the ones I don't. And I try to remember that there is a God who loves me, who has a complete and perfect plan for my life.

If you know me at all, you might know that music means a lot to me - because I love the way that the right song can teach me and inspire me and convict me and capture what I'm feeling in just a few lines. And when I need to be reminded of a God who loves me, music is one of the things I turn to. Around here, at least on the radio, that means K-love.

I don't have anything against K-love as a rule, though sometimes the cheesiness is just a bit much and the pledge drives make me insane. But its still good music, so I listen. The problem is, at least the last two years, they run a contest every year, where people write in with their love stories and someone writes a song about the winning story, called The Next Great Love Song. Cue the sappiness.

Someday I'm going to write in with my love story, about Someone who pursued me even though I was so unworthy, and who went to unbelievable lengths to prove just how much He loved me. That's the kind of songs I want to hear, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!