the master bedroom in a weekend (before).

Here's the question: is it really possible for one person to makeover a room in a weekend?

I'm going to find out.

This is my master bedroom. Notice that I didn't bother to make the bed before I took photos, or even really clean up - I'm all about keeping it real.


The paint color is periwinkle - kind of blue/purple. Strangely enough, this is pretty close to the color I painted the master bedroom in my first house. This time, though, I want more of a pale blue. I picked up a can of oops paint quite a while ago - I'm hoping that will work.

I really hate these nightstands - they're flimsy, and since they're open on the bottom, they show so much dust all the time. I do like the amount of space on top, though. The second stand, on the right side, is only decorative, and mostly just gets in the way when I'm trying to vacuum. Its slightly broken (from Ikea's AS-IS section), so I'm just going to get rid of it.

I'll keep my eye out for something cheap to replace the one on the left, but until I find something, it will stay. Ooh, maybe I should paint it, too!

Someday I'll buy a real bed, with a headboard and footboard and everything, but for now, I'm going to paint some plain shutters I have black and hang those directly on the wall. I do need artwork for over the bed - I'm still working on ideas for that.

I have this great surfboard print to go above this chair, to the left of the window. I've had it forever - I just need to mat and frame it. The problem is, its an odd size, and I don't want to pay exorbitant prices. So, I'm thinking for now, I'll make a custom frame (since I have a miter box!).

I also have drapes for the windows - I bought them at Ikea a while ago.

And that would be laundry I need to fold (and Harvey peeking in to see what's going on).

I have several things for this wall, the first of which are two large windows I rescued from someone in the neighborhood who was replacing hers. I need to bust the glass out of them, then sand them down and paint them white.

Notice a theme here? I've been picking up stuff for this room forever.

And, I'm painting a dresser my sister was getting rid of, to sit below the window frames. This is what it looks like now, minus the drawers.


So, here's the plan:

  1. Paint the room.
  2. Paint the dresser.
  3. Bust out the glass, paint the window frames, and hang them.
  4. Paint and hang the shutters for the headboard.
  5. Frame and hang the surfboard print.
  6. Hang the curtain rods and window treatments.
Wish me luck - I'll be back Monday with the update!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristy, I happened upon ur blog w/the recent e-mail u sent everyone
    & I just wanted to say that I LOVE your blog. I too have a 'calling' for crafting & Do It Yourself projects to which I hush away for lack of knowing how & the absence of faith; believing in myself that I can. But you have truly inspired me! Perhaps I too can strip a desk I've been wanting to pretty up in our den area & also a vintage coffe table I'd like to use as a plant display on my porch...(your mom's dresser huh? THAT's pretty NEAT!) You've got me HOOKED! I cannot wait for the update on the completion of your room ~GOOD LUCK!
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!