running.

I've never liked running. As someone who's had knee problems for years, I've always used the excuse that running isn't good for your knees (and really, it isn't, compared to something like a bike or elliptical trainer). But the truth is, I just don't like the way I feel when I run. Its hard, yes, but it hurts, too, in my sides and chest, even before I really feel it in my legs. I've really just never enjoyed it at all.

So why I decided to set a goal to run for 2 miles (#5), I don't know. But I figured now that I'm back into working out on a regular basis, it would be a good idea to see just where I was on that, so I would know how far I need to go.

Turns out, I have a long way to go. I could barely manage 2 minutes, which isn't even two-tenths of a mile. (Of course, I tried this after I had just done 20 minutes on the elliptical).

So I'm going to try this Couch-to-5K plan. I still don't know if I'll ever add running to my regular workout regime on a permanent basis, but this way I can at least work up to crossing that goal off my list.

Oh, and the pain in my sides and chest? Nick says that's because you're literally bouncing your organs around when you run. This also explains why its tough to catch your breath, because you're literally bouncing air out of your lungs. He says my ligaments will tighten up and it will get easier.

And after today, my first day on this new plan, let's just say - boy, I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!