my witness.

A few weeks ago, we started talking as a church about what it looks like when you commit to living out the Gospel in a radical way. Nick asked us three questions:
  1. If you had $100 to use for God, what would you do?
  2. If you had $1000 to use for God, what would you do?
  3. If you could do anything for God and know that you would not fail, what would you do?
Then, last week, Shaun Groves posted a similar challenge about living out your witness.

Um, coincidence? I don't think so.

I thought about Nick's questions for a few days, and when I sat down to answer them, I discovered something about myself. Every single answer had to do with adoption or foster care - doing it myself, or helping and supporting others who are doing it. It was a little unexpected, actually, to have such a clear and obvious theme.

I've thought for years about fostering and/or adoption. I still expect that some day I will, but as I've sought God on whether or not this is what He wants me to do now, I've gotten a very clear answer: "No, not yet."

(And for the record, I am absolutely convinced that was God's voice, and not my fears or insecurities talking).

So, I started thinking about how else to get involved in these areas, and I've started the application process to be a child advocate (or CASA - Court Appointed Special Advocate).

Here was my answer to the first question:

Q: If you had $100 at your disposal to use for your GO what would you do?
A: I'd give it (maybe directly, maybe by purchasing groceries or other supplies) to families who take in foster children.


So now I have $100 from The Bridge to do this with (because apparently that was the point of the question), and I'm looking for a local foster family who needs this help.

I'm both excited and a little scared to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!