making decisions.

Did you know that researchers have discovered that the mental work of making decision after decision actually wears you out and erodes your willpower? It's called decision fatigue. Essentially, the idea is that we only have so much mental energy for self-discipline, and the more decisions you have to make, the more likely you are to just accept the default or easiest answer. (Read more in last year's New York Times article, Do You Suffer From Decision Fatigue?).

I mention this because I am tired of making decisions about the bathroom. Hopefully we're nearly at the end of them. I honestly cannot imagine how much mental energy it takes to actually design and build a house, from scratch - just this little room is wearing me out!

At the end of this month, my family is going on a group vacation. I think that one of my goals just might be to make all of the necessary decisions ahead of time, so that I don't have to make any while we're there. Because right now that sounds like a best kind of vacation to me.

So, the bathroom. The ceiling and walls are primed and painted, and just need a few touch-ups here and there. Chris grouted the floor and shower surround today, and Dad is helping me install the beadboard on Monday. I'll paint it sometime later this week (hopefully Tuesday), then Chris will be back to install the door and window casings, put the toilet and pedestal sink back in the room, and attach all of the plumbing and lighting fixtures. After that, I'll install and paint the trim for the beadboard, and then accessorize. Or maybe just hang a shower curtain and call it done for now.

On the plus side, I finally got a clear picture of exactly what I want the beadboard trim to look like. Mom, Dad and I went to dinner tonight, and while we were waiting for our food, I pointed to the wall and said, I want the trim to look like this. One more decision made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!