Suffolk

I've been spending the weekend in Suffolk, VA (Virginia Beach area) with my friends Nick and Heather, and it's been a good weekend. Right now, I'm spending a few moments online while they finish getting ready for church. Nick and Heather are planting a church here in Suffolk, and are visiting different churches in the area until their church starts holding Sunday services.

Sometimes I think there's just enormous benefit in getting away from home, even if it's not that far away. To be with friends, and have no real agenda to speak of, is a wonderful thing. I'm trying to think about what I would be doing this weekend if I was at home, and I think, really, I'd be spending much of it the same way - shopping, hanging out with the people I care about, laughing. The difference is that all the things I should be doing would be weighing on me.

So, I'm thinking that maybe the really wonderful thing about vacations is giving yourself permission to be distracted from the things you should do. And if that's the case, it should be possible to accomplish that at home. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!