Remembering

I forgot that today was the anniversary of 9.11 until I turned on the radio in the car this morning. Then, I remembered quickly - exactly where I was and what I was doing (in my car, driving to the train station for my commute into downtown Chicago), the song that was playing on the radio (Eve 6's "Here's To The Night"), the first person I called (my mom, at work - my dad was in class and I didn't think I should interrupt him).


And I remember the emotions I felt that day - shock, a lack of comprehension, uncertainty as to what would happen next, relief to know my family was safe, and a need to be with them and to help in some way.


What I think about now, though, are all those stories of heroism - flight 93, the firefighters who died when the towers collapsed. I'm reminded that those stories aren't limited to that day, that there are heroes still today. I'm lucky to count among my friends two firefighters, and another who wants to be. I've never seen them rush a burning building (and I hope I never have to), but I know them, and I know their hearts, and I know they would. They're the kind of guys you can count on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!