30 Day Organizational Challenge, Day 1

As a rule, I think I'm a fairly organized person. I'm really detail-oriented - give me something to plan, and I will think of almost everything. Still, there are some areas of my house that are either a real mess, or just not as put together as I would like. I get frustrated if things are not just so, so I ignore them and let them go.

All that said, I decided to participate in a 30 Day Organizational Challenge, as a way to keep myself accountable to get these areas decluttered and organized once and for all. I'll start the month by identifying the areas I want to work on and displaying before pictures (warning: this is really, really long), and then post before and after pictures at the end of 30 days. I'll try to update throughout the month, too.


First, my office:

I got a jump start on this room by organizing the gift closet (I'll post more about that later). The biggest problems here, at least visually, are the desk and bookshelves. I tend to use the desk surface as a dumping around, especially - putting things here when I can't or don't want to deal with them right away. I've cleared it off before, but I think I just don't have the systems in place to handle incoming paper (either that, or I'm not using the systems I do have). Now that I'm working from home, I really need to be able to use this surface on a daily basis. For the bookshelves, I need to purge and containerize what's already there. I'm also thinking about trying to figure out how to rearrange the furniture in the room so that it just looks better. Its tricky, with the dogs, so I need to do some more thinking about that.

This room is also my guest room, and as I'll have guests both the second and third weekends in November, I need to have the room in a fairly stable state by the time they arrive. I don't need everything to be perfect, but I do need to have at least some order in place.

My file cabinet and desk surface - I don't think I should need the file boxes to the right of the cabinet, the surface just needs to be cleared, and the cables need to be better organized (even just for aesthetic value).


More of the desk and the hidden cabinet in the corner.


The bookcase - parts of are pretty organized, but the top isn't at all. I'd like to get some more desk supplies that are just pretty, too - I think that will help me to use them.


The organized gift closet - I could probably use some more containers here, and I definitely need to clean up and organize the stuff in front of the closet.

Second, the garage:

I'm not making any claims to completely clean and organize the garage this month (I think doing that, with everything else, is more than I can reasonably accomplish). But there's lots of stuff in there I just need to purge, and what's left needs to be stored better.

The storage closet in the garage - except for just a couple things, everything else here is Christmas stuff. There's a nice layer of dust. Most of this really is contained well, but it needs to be labeled and purged (I'll do this when I decorate later this month).


There's a great storage cabinet in here, but its hardly being used at all. I need to clean it out and start storing things there (and labeling them).


Most of this is stuff to donate - I'm just lazy about actually taking it to the thrift store or putting it outside for pick-up. Some of it is water-damaged now, too, thanks to the broken washing machine.

That's it - check back for updates!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a good start on organization already, just need some tweaking. Good luck...Look forward to seeing your finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to wish you luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with everything. I know how it is to work from home and how hard it is to keep your desk organized. You'll love it when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Your office looks like it has some great shelves and cubbies to work with. Can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for joining the challenge and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!