tv fast (day three).

I'm back to figuring out how to cross goal #13 off my list: For one month, watch only one hour of TV each week.

I knew this would be hard and would stretch me, but what I didn't realize was just how hard it would be. The first time I tried, I didn't even last three days. So I've been giving a lot of thought into exactly how this is going to work. I even considered waiting until the end of August/beginning of September, because my sister Kelli and I are hoping to take a trip to Africa then. And how much easier would it be to give up TV when I'm on another continent and busy riding elephants and stuff? Plus (as Kelli pointed out), nothing new is on in the summer, anyway.

The problem is, all of that manipulation doesn't really address the reasons why I wanted to cut back in the first place.

So, I'm trying again. Notice that I waited until I was three days into it before announcing it? Yes, because sometimes accountability is a pain in the rear.

My first goal is just to avoid it for a week, starting last Sunday, through this Saturday. And depending on how that goes, maybe the next week as well. And then we'll see. I'm hoping that the busyness of these next two weeks (I started my CASA training tonight) will make this a bit easier.

Here are a couple of things I've learned already:
  • Watching TV is as much a habit as anything else. Every day, I come home from work, make something to eat for dinner, then eat it in front of the TV while I play around on the computer. This is the time that I almost instinctively reach for the remote.
  • Though I don't fall asleep to the TV, and don't even think I could, I'm finding it much harder to go to sleep without watching it. I think this is because whatever else I'm doing, my mind is more active just before I go to bed, and I'm having a hard time turning it off. Katie pointed out that she uses TV as a distraction - this might also be true for me. So, I've started reading a bit before sleeping - The Chronicles of Narnia (which is helping me work on goal #21).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit, and comment!